Wednesday, August 15, 2012

quilting and the internet

When it comes to quilting, where do you find your inspiration? In the modern quilting movement, the internet seems to play a large role in how quilters communicate and share ideas. Much of my inspiration comes from other quilters I have "met" through blogs, flickr, and online fabric swaps and bees. (And I admit that I would probably get a lot more actual quilting done if I spent a little less time on the internet!) While there are numerous places on the web you can find and share what inspires you, today I'll talk about Pinterest and flickr.

Pinterest
Pinterest is a virtual pinboard that lets you "pin" almost anything you can find on the internet. To me, it's a better way of "bookmarking" something because you have a visual reminder of what you pinned. Once you open an account, you create various categories of boards and start pinning! On my Pinterest account, I've created boards for quilts to make, quilt blocks, quilt tips and techniques, and my quilts. Just looking through some of my quilting boards is often enough to motivate me to get going on a project. The drawback of Pinterest is potential problems with copyright infringement.


Flickr is a website that allows you to organize and share your photos. You can create an account for free, but there are limits to the number of photos you can have and groups you can post in.  Upgrading to a paid account avoids a lot of those limits.  You can also create and join groups and there are over a thousand groups centered around modern quilting.  Did you know the Omaha Modern Quilting Group is on flickr?  Come join us and add photos of your projects to our group pool!

No comments:

Post a Comment