Friday, September 21, 2012

on-line fabric swaps

Looking for a way to build your fabric stash? Fabric swaps are a fun way to do just that. Most involve swapping 5 inch charm squares but others swap 10 inch squares, fat quarters, or any number of other sizes. After you find and join a swap that interests you, you purchase and cut the assigned amount of fabric (usually one yard) into the assigned size, and ship them and a pre-paid return envelope to the swap hostess. The hostess then sorts the fabric and mails it back to you.  If you're looking for a swap to join, there is a Fabric Swap Finder flickr group where people post swap ideas and links to sign-ups.  Some of the swaps that have occurred are polka dot, stripes, I spy, rainbow, neutrals, solids, Christmas, and modern designer fabrics.

I participated in my first fabric swap on flickr this past spring and I've been hooked every since.  We swapped 5 inch charms of polka dot fabrics.  I used mine to make this polka dot pinwheels quilt top.

(I've been working on it forever but I'm almost done quilting it.  My goal is to have it finished to share at the October meeting.)

If you don't find the swap you want, you can always host your own.  I was looking for an I spy swap but there were none going on, so I jumped in and hosted one in March.  There's some great instructions on how to host a swap here.

No comments:

Post a Comment